Preston was Santa in his school Christmas program. Since it is such a small school, we have a nice dinner afterwards for the guests. We're talking a sit down meal like ham or potato soup with tons of delicious sides and homemade rolls and desserts. I'm telling you...small, in-the-middle-of-nowhere living is the bomb diggity.
Look at my cute Santa.
I am posting an actual non-sweet recipe today. I get so excited for the Christmas season and the treats, but by the time Christmas comes, I've had my share of sweets. I am about to that point. Almost.
This soup is just like your traditional Chicken Noodle soup only a creamy version. It's so comforting.
2 tablespoons butter
1 C. chopped onion
1 C. chopped celery (optional, I leave it out)
1/4 C. fresh chopped parsley or about 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
2 to 3 C. diced chicken
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
5 C. chicken broth
1 scant teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups frozen peas and carrots or canned
1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
4 ounces medium noodles, cooked and drained
Salt, to taste
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and celery and sauté until onion is tender.
- Add the parsley, chicken, chicken broth, soups, poultry seasoning, thyme, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and carrots, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in the cream or half-and-half, along with the cooked noodles; add salt to taste.
- Heat through.